Last week I started playing the game and earlier this week I finished it as well. It is not that I played for hours. All in all this one had about 12 sequences each having
3-5 missions that needed completion. Now that I am done, I realize that I would have been able to finish the game in flat 10 hours if it wasn’t for the glitches and all those side missions that kept propping up and I felt that the need to do all of those because it would have an impact on how the game unfolds.
At some level, the game is dis-appointing when I consider the prequels like the Brotherhood and Revelations. I could have finished the game without needed a single pound (it was dollars in the previous versions). The game stands completed with 40% still undone so which means there are missions all over the place that I can go back and do with the only incentive being a completion rate and no impact on the main story. The things that I don’t like are
- There are glitches at some places. Some of these glitches don’t open up missions on maps and you have to run around and even then they won’t come up. While at times it does makes a difference when you go to the place, sometimes they just don’t popup and it gets frustrating
- Game actually hung on me twice and I had to restart the console – this has never happened with any of the games AC or anything else
- The main missions are way too easy when compared to the older versions. I went back to see if there is a way to set the difficulty (like GOW) but there is none. The soldiers are way too less and I was able to kill all of them no matter how many would come even with the basic of the weapons with which i started the game. The ship fights were a little tight, but once I got the hang of it they were way too easy
- Contrary to previous point, the side missions are way too much and some of them are nuisance like catching wild animal in the Frontier
- AC3 has an open world that is way more than any of the previous games which eventually seems like a distraction and does not adds to the game. Like in previous ones, I would have expected the need of earning money to be key as I would need advanced weapons but none of that is needed in this version. I can finish all main missions without doing any side missions
- I missed the free running missions // they are just so less in this version of the game. Last few games free running was just amazing and having missions around those were simply awesome to master. AC3 doesn’t have a lot of it.
Of course that the game did have its good parts as well
- The whole driving a ship in the open sea and get into a battle of different kind was pretty cool. I had a few battles and it was cool killing ships with different set of weapons
- Another thing that was good about this was the aspect of how the game gets realistic. If you are doing a mission like assisting a farmer harvesting, the missions comes up only if it is daytime because logically during day time the farmers would be sleep. There were hints of this Revelations when we had to conquer forts and there were shift changes if a captain/officer would flee the attack and you would have to wait
- Side missions are nice some of those especially the homestead ones as it gives you a feel of growing the town unlike the previous ones where you buy shops, banks, etc and just earn money. This one makes you earn your money whether it is by growing homestead or saving your convoys from getting destroyed. It is like you are vested in yout little investment which was nice
- Some of the movements are more streamlined like the Free Running is smoother than previous ones. Some of the new movements like jumping over not so high fences and then diving underneath opening are new moves which make this more real and fast. However, I would have liked to see more free running missions which are fun part and are very little here
If you have’t played this series then this is not the one to begin with a) you will not gather any context & story and b) you will not find this one boring as the main story is very limited and not that interesting compared to previous ones. But, then how can you not have played AC2, ACB or ACR. SO go and buy those 3 and then come to this one.
Why would you come to by AC3? For kicks of not missing any of the series. The cost is a bit steep given the fact that the game is almost a year old. Maybe wait for AC4 release and the price drops and you can buy. The game is still worth, because it changes how you interact with the game and the experience is still nice given you got to spend a few hours and you can always come back to achieve all 100% completion which would be interesting. There is so much side stuff you can do so if you are getting bored you can always go back for the side stuff. On the face value of main story alone, I wouldnt recommend, but as an overall package and being the series I wouldnt miss for the world.
Now decide who you are? Are you a series fan? Then go get it today.